COUCHES - THE NEAREST TOWN, 3 KM AWAY
The medieval town of Couches is dominated by the Chateau of Marguerite of Burgundy. Other historic buildings include Le Priure St Georges(725), La Tour Majole & Tour Guerin (12th century), La Maison des Templiers (1610), Le Viel Hopital (1656) and the Menhirs of Epoigny of around 5000 years ago.
Modern day Couches contains most of the facilities visitors will need to fully enjoy their stay including:
- Supermarket - open all week except Sunday afternoon
- Bank - cash dispenser with instructions in foreign languages
- Post Office
- Baker - open every day except Monday
- Butcher - specialises in local produce
- Tourist Office - very welcoming and well stocked
- Chemist - large pharmacy
- Doctors - 2 surgeries
- Dentist - speaks English!
- Hairdresser - both male & female
- Newsagent - occasionally has international papers
- Bars (3) - all with outside tables
- Restaurants (3) - menus from around 12 euros
- Petrol - available 24/7 from Coccinelle Supermarket. Competitive prices. Accepts foreign cards.
- Swimming - Couches (man-made lake); Le Creusot (aquatic centre)
- Cycling - 'Voie Verte' - cycle parths on old railway lines & along canals
- Walking - Locally (book of walks in the house) & in the Morvan National Park.
- Golf - five courses within easy reach
- Fishing, sailing, boating, hot air ballooning(Air Escargot), hang gliding